Dieppe Gardens, in the heart of Windsor, affords the best view of the Detroit skyline. Located at the foot of Ouellette Avenue, on the banks of the Detroit River, Dieppe Gardens are named in memory of the many members of the Essex-Kent Scottish Regiment who lost their lives during the World War II landing at Dieppe, France in 1942. The park is heavily planted with brilliantly colored annuals and perennials. It features many monuments including monuments to the Canadian Army and Navy. For years the property was used as a docking site by the Detroit-Windsor Ferry Company, and several cottages, retail stores, hotels and other businesses were established. In the late 1950s, these buildings were purchased and demolished by the city so that the site could be developed into a major riverfront park.